Sunday, January 9, 2011

What the heck is a boppy?

Baby's R Us tried to kill me last week, but I survived somehow. Thank God that one of my best friends, Jen Major, helped me get out of the store in one piece.

Baby registration is an insane process for someone like me. You know, the first-time-mommie who really has had minimal to no experience with babies. To be honest, I wasn't excited at all to enter the store and attack my baby registration. But once again, Jen came through; she bribed me with Starbuck's and promised me the process would be painless! So dragging my feet, Starbuck's in hand, I entered the store and sat down with her at the registration booth. We ended up getting to speak with one of the quickest speaking associates ever. Wow! Didn't she understand that I had no idea what I was doing?!? Why'd she have to speak so fast? So as she explained the scanner process and checklist, I didn't understand one word and prayed that I could just depend on Jen's experience with this monsterous task.

She then handed me the "gun" and we started on aisle 1. Praise God again, that Jen is a teacher...she handled each item and question with such ease and patience. She told me about different bottles, teething aids, first aid gear, breast pumps, and BOPPYS. Yep! I had no idea what a boppy was, but Jen taught me about this too. She masterfully kept me motivated and got me through each aisle. Despite the fact that she is 7 months pregnant, she ripped down strollers for us to test and only once knocked over an aisle! Ha!

Unfortunately as we thought we had finished the grueling task of baby registration, (honest to God, at 6 months pregnancy, it felt like completing a marathon), it was revealed to me that none of the items that were low inventory at the store had scanned. I then realized that I should have asked the associate we met at the beginning to slow down her rate of speech as she was explaining the scanning process to us. Ugh! I also realized that my husband is always right...especially when he says that I "need to pay better attention."

As my hormones were raging especially at that moment, as I realized that we would have to go through the entire store again to see what items were not scanned, I knew I was about to have a meltdown. Yep! A good ol' adult-sized temper tantrum pregnancy style! Fortunately for me, just in case I hadn't said it before, Jen, the ultimate teacher was with me and reassured me that we could go through the entire process again and SURVIVE!

So we did, and about 3 1/2 hours later, we left the store having registered for boppy's, diapers, and many other items that I still have no clue what they are used for.

The ultimate lesson to be learned here...don't...I repeat...don't enter Baby's R Us alone unless you are experienced and a bit more stable than myself! Thanks again Jen...you saved me from that insane store. You are incredibly appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwww blonde you give me way to much credit you were way easy and I was super impressed by your non melt down reaction when we realized none of the low inventory stuff was scanned the whole experience for me was super special and i'm just grateful that I got to spend time with you your gonna make a great mommy and I can't wait to meet lil baby Bella love Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, thank God you had Jen:) I know I am not a mom yet, but seem to be VERY maternal and have seen soooo many people go through all this. With that being said, you will do just fine, there is no right or wong way(your way is all that counts, no matter what others say) and you have MANY people around you that love you and will be right there to help you answer all the "what do I do's". Hope all is well with you and enjoy reading your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen you deserve all the credit. You kept me calm. If you weren't there...whoaa...I would have been kicked out of the store...guaranteed. Thanks Melissa. Your words are amazing. Keep me updated on your mommy journey too okay!

    ReplyDelete